real time web analytics
Report - - Britannia Mill Weaving Sheds, Mossley, 08/24 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Britannia Mill Weaving Sheds, Mossley, 08/24

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
A random explore we found by pure chance, turned out to be really interesting somehow.

I can’t find much about the history of the site, as it is just a small local mill, set for redevelopment very soon. The weaving sheds are easy enough to access, but we couldn’t find a way into the main mill

Explore

Initially thought it was going to be some crappy empty shell, but it was a lot more interesting than I thought! It’s derpy in regards to graffiti, broken windows and burn damage, But the equipment and random set of Avery scales made for a lovely mooch! Definitely worth passing by if you’re in the area.

Photos

IMG_8632.jpeg

IMG_8640.jpeg

IMG_8642.jpeg

IMG_8654.jpeg

The loading bay, a lovely find that reminds me of Fletchers in a way

IMG_8657.jpeg

IMG_8658.jpeg

IMG_8661.jpeg

IMG_8662.jpeg

IMG_8665.jpeg

IMG_8670.jpeg

IMG_8671.jpeg

A random love electrical box, why it’s still connected I don’t know?

IMG_8677.jpeg

IMG_8679.jpeg

IMG_8682.jpeg

IMG_8683.jpeg

Avery Scales!

IMG_8684.jpeg

IMG_8687.jpeg

IMG_8688.jpeg

IMG_8690.jpeg

IMG_8693.jpeg

IMG_8698.jpeg

Now for a couple money shots I enjoyed

IMG_8639.jpeg

IMG_8664.jpeg

IMG_8691.jpeg

IMG_8695.jpeg

That’s all folks!

IMG_8681.jpeg

Drewster09

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
mint man!
As for history, it’s defo sparse!
It was definitely built after the Second World War, as 1947 Ariel photos show that it was wastelands. There was actually a large spinning mill on the land of the shed, which was I believe attached to the Britannia mill up the lane. It came right out onto the riverbed and there’s some old stone foundations on the riverbed today which are quite cool. Somesort of tailrace…. This complex of cotton spinning mills was owned by John Mayalls. That ran until after the First World War. I seem to remember reading that the Great Depression did it in for the mayalls.

The shed is known as the ‘new shed’ and was used by the Antler leather company To make suitcases possibly from the 70s onwards. I reckon this ran until around the turn of the century.
Then it was P&M fabrics until quite recently.

Great shots and interesting place