real time web analytics
Report - - Chambre De Commerce..Antwerp May 2015 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chambre De Commerce..Antwerp May 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looking through some old photos on an old laptop I came across my euro photos. I ain’t made many trips across the water, four times and the last time eight years ago. But one of the trips was this one over a late may bank holiday. We left on a Friday morning and got back late on the Monday. We spent the whole weekend exploring on what was a gorgeous weekend, this place being the last of the trip. it was a great weekend even though busy was a relaxing one with loads of laughs as there was seven of us. This plan was a classic on the euro scene and prob one of the best places that was about and still prob even now would still be one of the best. We arrived early in the morning as the sun was rising. The way in was one the then arch entries at ground level that drop in to a basement with grills on them. Half of the people I was with said they could not get in. So I said I would drop in and try get the door open as we heard it opened. Had to find my way through a maze of cellars and try find the door which I did eventually. We had taken a pair of walkie talkies with us, so I radioed them to let them know I was in and found the door, and we spent the morning inside in awe of the sheer grandness of this place. Sadly I had a Fuji fixed lens which was 28-112mm, and this place needs a wide angle really, but just tried to the best with what I had.
The chamber of commerce can date its history back to the early 1500s when Antwerp became a major trading hub. The building had a severe fire in 1853 and rebuilt again. It then suffered a second fire in 1853 and was rebuilt again after the city council held a competition. It was won by architect Joseph Schadde and work commenced with his design. Built in a neo gothic style, with ground breaking techniques. It opened its doors again in 1872 and was rated as one of the best commercial markets in the world. The building closed in 1997 after a merger between the Brussels and Antwerp stock exchanges. Several plans over the years materialised over the years to convert it. It was finally renovated in 2019 as an event hall with restauran, hotel, the central square at the bottom is open to the members of the public.

Starting off with the main thing everyone went for and that is the main open area with its pillars and grand skylight. There are lots of other rooms, some that people don’t bother with. Also it’s not all grand, there is a lot of strippped large empty areas away from the show pieces. I put a few pics of these at the end.

IMG_4533.jpeg

IMG_4534.jpeg

IMG_4535.jpeg

IMG_4537.jpeg

IMG_4538.jpeg

IMG_4539.jpeg

IMG_4540.jpeg

IMG_4541.jpeg

IMG_4542.jpeg

IMG_4543.jpeg

IMG_4544.jpeg

IMG_4545.jpeg