real time web analytics
Report - - Checkendon Polish Camp, Oxfordshire - August 2024 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Checkendon Polish Camp, Oxfordshire - August 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

charlotte1748

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is our first real explore so apologies in advance if the reports a bit of a mess!
After having done a lot of research trying to find the best place to visit for our first explore, I stumbled upon a few threads about this place. It looked remote and out of sight which was perfect as we were worried about going somewhere with higher chances of getting caught for our first time.

History
The site was acquired from Woodcote MOD in 1948 to be used to house displaced polish families arriving from the Middle East and Africa. The accommodation was largely in the form of Nissen huts but they seemingly made the best of it with lots of entertainment etc including a 6 person dance band performing regularly in the camp’s entertainment hall (which I believe is unfortunately no longer standing). The camp also used to hold Italian prisoners, presumably being kept in the remaining cell block. Checkendon camp was also used by American soldiers and lastly for ex Polish service men before closing its doors in the early 60s. There is now a Timber yard occupying a lot of the site but some of the old buildings still remain. We managed to find 7 of them.

The Explore
We drove down to Checkendon in the morning and parked at the pub. We’d driven past the old chapel on the way so headed straight there. We were able to have a decent look around, seeing the old entrance and even the old bathroom. There was a building next to this that we tried to get in but unfortunately it was locked. Looking in a window, it seems to be being used as storage.

We continued walking through the woods but couldn’t find any more buildings and didn’t even know what direction to go in. We decided to go back home and do some more research. We set to work making a map overlaying the old Polish camp site map with a current google maps image, and after cross analysing the threads on here, along with a YouTube video, we were able to have a much better idea on where to go so we drove back to finish our explore.

We started by walking towards the ‘laboratory’ and happened to stumble across the 3 old Nissen huts on the way. Whilst these were largely empty bar the odd pigeon, they were cool to see nonetheless, especially the kegs of mango and lime in brine with 1999 as the best before date.
We continued our journey to the ‘laboratory’ although unfortunately, as you can probably see from the photos, it was super overgrown (in fact, the photos don’t do it justice haha!). It was probably the wrong time of year to come really!
After battling with brambles and nettles, we finally managed to get in. It was such an interesting building to look around, even though it was quite trashed and had clearly been messed with as loads of stuff seems to have been moved around and smashed up/broken after having looked back over the photos from other reports. Nonetheless, still loads of history to look through!
Someone had also moved one of the ladders round the side of the building to get on the roof, and then another little stepladder to get on the tower section. I apprehensively trusted the ladder but didn’t trust the roof or stepladder so just took some pictures from the top of the first ladder.
We continued on trekking through the jungle in search of the cell block but it started to get too overgrown to carry on so we turned back. We were going to call it a day but decided it would be a shame to leave without finding the last known building so we tried to gain access from the other side of the site instead, walking along the concrete track. At the end of the track, we were greeted by 4 deer gamboling around right by our destination! After they moved away, we went to explore the cell block. Like the other buildings, this one also seemed to have become a bit more dilapidated since the last reports but still interesting to look around! Finally, after a few cuts, stings and soaking trousers, we headed back to the car and home.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_0205.jpeg

IMG_0209.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_0214.jpeg

IMG_0229.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_0223.jpeg

IMG_0234.jpeg

IMG_0241.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_0259.jpeg

IMG_0248.jpeg

IMG_0252.jpeg

IMG_0263.jpeg

IMG_0264.jpeg

IMG_0269.jpeg

IMG_0279.jpeg

IMG_0277.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice first report and decent set of pics, however for some reason the photos look small on Desktop, you may need to re-size them. Either way you can still click on them so not too much of an issue.

charlotte1748

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice first report and decent set of pics, however for some reason the photos look small on Desktop, you may need to re-size them. Either way you can still click on them so not too much of an issue.
Thank you! Yeah I had some issues with adding the pictures, I’ll try posting using my laptop instead next time and see if that’s any better👍

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Really good 1st report. Good format and history. Great photos too. Could you just pop Oxfordshire into title as per forum rules. Other than that, well done, great work 👍 👍

TheJungleBeast

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report dude, if they are all as good as this I will be loking forwards to it.
I went there about 1.5 years ago for a revisit, spent a while tidying up and arranging the electronics on the benchs nicely, good to see it's not been trashed any further.

charlotte1748

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report dude, if they are all as good as this I will be loking forwards to it.
I went there about 1.5 years ago for a revisit, spent a while tidying up and arranging the electronics on the benchs nicely, good to see it's not been trashed any further.
Thanks man! Yeah was a bit disappointed to see the likes of the computer screen smashed up (although it was cool to see the old school electronics inside to be fair) so thanks for going and helping to tidy the place up, I liked how they all looked lined up there👍👍