real time web analytics
Report - - Eggborough Power Station, Eggborough, Nov 2018 ish | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Eggborough Power Station, Eggborough, Nov 2018 ish

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

FLEXER

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History,
Eggborough Power Station was built between 1962 and 1970, and first began generating electricity in 1967.[3] The station comprises four 500 megawatt (MW) coal-fired units, giving the station a total electrical output of 1,960 MW. Units 3 and 4 have been installed with Flue Gas Desulphurisation equipment, which reduces the units' emissions of Sulphur Dioxide by around 90%.[1][3]
Eggborough power stations were supplied with fuel via a 1½ mile branch line off the Wakefield and Goole Line. Rail facilities include a west-facing junction on the Goole line, two coal discharge lines (No. 1 and No. 2), gross- and tare-weight weighbridges, a hopper house, a limestone unloading line and an oil discharge line.[4][5]
The eight cooling towers are arranged in two rows of four located to the west of the power station building. There is a single 200 m (660 ft) tall chimney located to the north of the main building. The electrical switching station was located to the south of the main building.[6]
In 2005 a retrofit turbine upgrade was carried out to increase the station's efficiency and flexibility by improving part-load and two-shift operation.[7]
The station employed around 300 people, as well as contractors.[1]
Alongside Ferrybridge Power Stations, Eggborough used to pump ash from the incineration process to a piece of land south of the railway line, The M62 and the Aire and Calder Navigation called Gale Common Ash Disposal. The area covered 0.58 square miles (1.5 km2) and was landscaped by Brenda Colvin into a hill with contours (she was said to have been inspired by Maiden Castle Hill Fort in Dorset). The hill reaches a height of 160 feet (50 m) and stands out amongst the rather flat landscape of this part of North Yorkshire.[8][9]

Explore,
This is my first report and tbh i dont know why, ive urbexed and followed this group for so many years now, i quess partly due to rubbish cameras in the past and alot off night explores i just never uploaded them, alot off the time i wouldnt even take the camera, I only own a nikon d3200 now but im trying lol, im not a great photographer by any means but ill learn, well i visited back here in january with a friend, travelled from essex so abit off a mission but well worth it, Fast and furious was filming at the time and there was equipment and signs everywhere. The gem off the night has to be the HUGE coal Excavator, What a machine.....

48315072907_d12e4b4997_b.jpg

tigger

mog
Regular User
Nothing wrong with those photos. Very nice selection and everyone loves power stations.
Lockout cabinets are great.

(Being 'picky' I'd say don't just copy wankipedia entries as they look a mess)

FLEXER

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nothing wrong with those photos. Very nice selection and everyone loves power stations.
Lockout cabinets are great.

(Being 'picky' I'd say don't just copy wankipedia entries as they look a mess)
i noticed that as soon as i uploaded it lol, cheers mate ill take note

FLEXER

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As you like the bucket wheel conveyor here's the cover of a Krupp Catalogue of the wee beasties from the early 1960s. JMJ Maus were the preferred supplier to the CEGB

krupp62.jpg
There amazing aint they, pictures never justify the true scale do they