real time web analytics
Report - - Greenbank Synagogue Liverpool - April 2024 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Greenbank Synagogue Liverpool - April 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tomvandutch

X-Ploring the world
28DL Full Member
The Xxx Drive Synagogue, officially the Yyyy New Hebrew Congregation, is a former Orthodox Jewish congregation and synagogue that was located on Xxx Drive in the Zzzz Park area of Yyy, England, in the United Kingdom.

The congregation was formed from the merger of two congregations in 1838 and prayed according to the Ashkenazi rite.
The synagogue was completed in 1937 and listed as a historical monument in 1983. The building is considered the most architecturally significant synagogue in England of the 20th century and the finest surviving architectural example of a synagogue from the interwar period.

The pretext for the founding of the synagogue can be traced to a split within the Yyy Hebrew Congregation in 1838. From this, the separate New Hebrew Congregation established its own synagogue, first on Aaa Street, then on Bbb Street, before finally establishing a purpose-built synagogue built in 1857 on Ddd Place.
After World War I, the number of Jewish community members living near the synagogue began to decline as they moved to Yyy's more affluent suburbs. One such area was around Eee Park, where Hebrew schools and a significant Jewish community took shape. In 1928, the congregation planned to move and build a larger synagogue to accommodate the growing community in Eee Park.

On August 15, 1937, the new synagogue, which had 700 seats and was built in the Art Deco style, was consecrated by ABC, a member of the community, and opened to the public.
In May 1959, a fire was started by an intruder, which destroyed the Torah ark and its scrolls and damaged part of the roof structure. The building was repaired for £50,000 and reopened in 1961.
In 1965 another fire broke out, this time on the first two floors, but the damage was limited to this area.

The building was used for the last time on January 5, 2008 and then closed because the city's Jewish population had declined sharply. The number of parishioners grew to 340 by 1938, rose to 582 in 1955 and then fell to 120 in 1999.
At around the same time, Historic England increased the building's listed status from Grade II (awarded in 1983) to the higher Grade II*. It was subsequently added to the Heritage at Risk Register of Historic England.
In 2017, the conversion of the former synagogue into a series of apartments was approved.

DSC01640-HDR.jpg

DSC01643-HDR.jpg

DSC01649-HDR.jpg

DSC01652-HDR.jpg

DSC01658-HDR.jpg

DSC01664-HDR.jpg

DSC01667-HDR.jpg

DSC01670-HDR.jpg

DSC01673-HDR.jpg

DSC01676-HDR.jpg

DSC01682-HDR.jpg

DSC01685-HDR.jpg

DSC01688-HDR.jpg

DSC01691-HDR.jpg

DSC01700-HDR.jpg

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01707-HDR.jpg

DSC01710-HDR.jpg

DSC01713-HDR.jpg

DSC01716-HDR.jpg

DSC01722-HDR.jpg

DSC01728-HDR.jpg

DSC01731-HDR.jpg

DSC01734-HDR.jpg

DSC01737-HDR.jpg

DSC01740.jpg

DSC01741.jpg

DSC01744-HDR.jpg

DSC01748-HDR.jpg

DSC01757-HDR.jpg

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looking a bit battered now and shame the idiots have sped the process up.

Still worthy of a visit, especially when you photograph it as well as you have.

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Nice update on the place, cheers.
Just a couple of things - could you add the month and year of your visit to the title please. And what's with the xxx's and yyy's?

tomvandutch

X-Ploring the world
28DL Full Member
Nice update on the place, cheers.
Just a couple of things - could you add the month and year of your visit to the title please. And what's with the xxx's and yyy's?
The xxx and yyy are from the text on my homepage and facebook page so that not all the people know directly where it is.
I just copy the text from there.

It´s not possible to edit it.
We where there in aprl 2024

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
It's not possible to edit it.
We where there in aprl 2024
Cheers, I've edited the thread title accordingly.
The xxx and yyy are from the text on my homepage and facebook page so that not all the people know directly where it is.
I just copy the text from there.
I see. For future reference, it might be worth just giving any copy and pasted text a quick edit. The name and location is a requirement on here, so it reads a bit odd when the details are obscured in the write-up.

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The idiots deffo having their way with this one! What’s with all the blue rope tied across the hall? Ruins the ambience for me a bit.
last time I was here the site had been boarded off with big gates and all……but to my surprise i gave it a little push and it was wide open!