real time web analytics
Report - - Lavernock Battery, Penarth, May 2024 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lavernock Battery, Penarth, May 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bawdy.horror

28DL Member
28DL Member
History

Constructed in the late 1860s as part of a chain of costal defences running across the bristol channel, aiming to protect the ports of the Severn Estuary. Updated in world war two to serve as an anti-aircraft battery featuring four heavy AA guns.
On 13 May 1897, the battert recieved the first ever wireless communication sent over open sea. The experiment transmitted a message over the bristol channel from Flat Holm Island to Lavernock Point, a distance of 6 km. The message read "Are you ready".
Most of the battery is demolished and a caravan park has built up around it. What remains has been designated a Scheduled Ancient Monument, and should be around for the forseeable future.

The Trip

After being foiled on an attempt to gain access to the Penarth Marina Buildings, I decided not to waste the day and cycled along the beautiful Penarth coastline to Lavernock Battery and a few of the associated ruins and pillboxes. After getting lost several times in the lanes and holiday camps, I finally found the ruin in a picturesque nature reserve. It was an incredibly peaceful site and there were a few old timers lounging around taking in the ambience who were happy to chat about the sites history with me and direct me further down the coast to some extra fortifications built as part of the same defence scheme. Maybe not the most 'urbex-y' type site and certainly not as grimy as I usually like them, but a nice trip regardless and nice not to have to worry about getting caught.

Pictures

DSC_0239.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

DSC_0249.JPG

DSC_0265.JPG

DSC_0271.JPG

DSC_0275.JPG

DSC_0289.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0299.JPG

DSC_0303.JPG

DSC_0304.JPG