real time web analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Lead/Info - Saddleworth/Oldham water supply tunnel | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Lead/Info - Saddleworth/Oldham water supply tunnel

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

usernamevoid

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is a bit of a long one, but maybe 8-years ago, bored at work, and looking at Borehole records, I came across this:

1726380090955.png

A literal record of a tunnel dug in 1891, to transfer water from Casleshaw Reservoir, to Stinedale reservoir via means of a 30" diameter pipe (Think chew valley siphon here)
See the record here (https://api.bgs.ac.uk/sobi-scans/v1/borehole/scans/items/32897)
1726380344668.png

The above is a long section of the geological profile of the tunnel, carried out in March 1929. With a sketch showing the route below:
1726380545854.png

Now a few years back, i did have a look at the delph side, and found the eastern portal, but never found the western. Pictures are long lost on an old mobile phone I had at the time, however, I do have my best attempt at looking through google earth, with the headwall outline below, along with a gavanised steel access above it:

1726380982341.png

Google maps link to the Portal 53°34'08.1"N 2°02'20.6"W · Delph

Now to answer the questions, at the time i went looking for this, I was in no way prepared to be going underground, with dog in tow, and no-one knowing where I was.

These days I live down under, and it was a visit back home which got me thinking about this place again.

There is very little online about this tunnel, but it has got to be a fair feat of engineering at around 2km long, it would be great if this was to make it onto 28DL, plus it isn't often someone get to christen and name a new place these days ;)

Happy hunting, and feel free to hit me up for more info