real time web analytics
Report - - Littlebrook D Power Station – The control room - Kent –February 2016 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Littlebrook D Power Station – The control room - Kent –February 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member

The history

Littlebrook is an oil-fired power station. The station was built in the 1980’s and is located in Kent on south bank of the River Thames next to the Queen Elizabeth 2 Bridge and the Dartford Tunnel. Littlebrook had an installed generating capacity of 1245MW - enough to meet the needs of over 1 million households.

The original Littlebrook Power Station first started generating electricity in 1939. The current station is the fourth to be built on the site, and began commercial operation in 1981.

Littlebrook Power Station had three turbine generating units - two of the generating units were in commercial operation and one is in reserve. In addition, the station has three sets of gas-turbine units capable of providing additional support to the National Grid system when required.

The Explore

Having visited Littlebrook a fair few times and read numerous reports and website snippets about the place there was one part the had eluded us. The control room…

Having worked out roughly where we thought it was, only to find that we were wrong and it was in fact a gym, it seemed like the control room was never going to be in our grasp.

Or so we thought.

Things bug me, I mean really bug me.

You know when you’re a kid and you parents say “you can’t do that “

Well I was the kind of kid who just had too lol

So I went back and back and studied the place. I guess I took a few risks I shouldn’t have and was a little more blatant around a semi live power station than I ideally would have liked to have been. Especially when it came to wandering around in the yard between the buildings.

But it was on one of these wanders I had my Eureka moment and I found my access.

Well if truth be told I was sat on the floor staring aimlessly at google earth trying to work out where the fuck I was lol

The usual guys I explore with were still wanking off over the turbines so I texted them and in we went….

Fuck fuck and double fuck

The control room is mint, we walked in like a bunch of nervous giggling kids.

Everything was lit up, all the screens, all the computers and even the clock telling you how much power was being generated. This was a little worrying as the turbines were not supposed to be working

The main screens kept going on and off which was a little odd and kind of freaky but I managed to snap some pics and we left as quick as we could

As always enjoy the pics

lbcr%201_zps2jaeo4rb.jpg

lbcr%202_zpsusmbktya.jpg

lbcr%203_zpsi6gzupsk.jpg

lbcr%204_zpslavzncka.jpg

lbcr%205_zpsjg4ag5wq.jpg

lbcr%206_zpssepbry5v.jpg

lbcr%207_zpsezr8dpmu.jpg

lbcr%208_zpsewljcr2d.jpg

lbcr%209_zpskmdifpkw.jpg

lbcr%2010_zpsqjlbbjni.jpg

lbcr%2011_zpsm62hdv0n.jpg

lbcr%2012_zpspik9zfa2.jpg

lbcr%2013_zpscek4cchx.jpg

lbcr%2014_zpsyfvtwcfu.jpg

lbcr%2015_zpsyetloljl.jpg

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
good effort @Keitei , @GAJ & my good self were busy playing gingerbread mandem in the turbine hall whilst the control room was still occupied and this place was still connected to the grid ;)

Gingerbread.jpg

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Very cool. I remember doing anti terrorism drills down the Thames looking at this place last year having the standard thoughts of 'what the fucks in there?'

mockney reject

Staff member
when you get down and walk around the turbines they appear to be disconnected but depending on what you read they are able to fire back up if needed

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
See i was under the assumption that the gas turbines were still live and controlled from that room. The thing is they are largely automatic anyway programed to come online when the grid frequency drops below a certain level as an 'emergency'. Its very unlikely they would ever be called upon in that role especially during the night and that's probably where theres not much activity 'out of hours'.maybe

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
A lot of the gas turbine topping stations are controlled from Fawley, so maybe the same is going on here.