real time web analytics
Report - - Nottingham Incinerator Chimney - July 2010 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Nottingham Incinerator Chimney - July 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Nottingham Incinerator Chimney - July 2010

8_zpsdskelwey.jpg

A wet evening saw me looking at some of my older photos on a hard-drive and came across these. I did post a report at the time, one of my first on 28DL. Alas as technically I was at work the site manager asked the company I worked for at the time to get me to remove it!

So 5 years down the line the site manager can swivel as they are just photos and I probably get more info from Google Maps.

A Bit of History

From memory the chimney is 100 meters high or 330ft in old terms, sat directly above the incinerators. Made of concrete and only accessible when the steeplejacks have put their ladders up. Probably due another inspection soon so keep your eyes open for ladders and better still a nice scaffold construction at the top.
The facility takes around 160,000 tonnes of non-hazardous waste from households and businesses within Nottingham and the wider county for treatment by high temperature incineration and energy recovery. Residual waste is brought to the facility after recyclable materials have been separated out either at home, household waste recycling centres or other waste recycling and treatment facilities. The use of energy recovery at Eastcroft vastly reduces the amount of waste sent to landfill as well as Nottingham’s reliance on fossil fuels to supply the City’s energy needs.
The energy recovery process at Eastcroft generates steam, which is delivered via a pipeline to EnviroEnergy Limited, a company wholly owned by Nottingham City Council. EnviroEnergy supplies heat to a wide range of customers, including 4,600 domestic premises in the city, as well as public buildings including the Broad Marsh shopping centres, Victoria Baths, Nottingham Trent University’s Newton Building, the Inland Revenue building, the Magistrates Court, Nottingham City Council offices and the National Ice Centre. Any excess steam is also used to generate electricity which powers the facility and is also supplied to many local customers within Nottingham City.
Possibly why they didn't want publicity was it doesn't seem to be preforming as well as it should have!

"Nottingham City Council has recently released figures showing that only 21% of energy from burning waste in the Eastcroft incinerator was sold as heat through the district heating system. That follows an admission by incinerator operator WRG that only just over 10% of the energy was used to produce electricity exported to the grid. It means over two thirds of the calorific value of the city's waste was wasted. That is worse than the waste of heat in coal-fired power stations."

Well enough of the limited history and on with a few photos of Nottingham; which this was all it was about 5 years ago.

First were the good views of the Great Northern Railway Warehouse, a total derp full of needles, drug dealers and murdered prostitutes, the urge to explore here soon diminished after reading this!

1_zpsmgc0jew0.jpg

I did like the Hi Google on the roof, I have checked and it's currently not on Google Maps.

7_zpsdgbwiu0i.jpg

Looking across to the railway station.

2_zpsnigtgqde.jpg

The goods yard below, think it was someone from here who rumbled me to the site manager of the incinerator.

3_zpskutpfhcb.jpg

Good view of the football grounds for those interested in overpaid Prim donna's kicking a pigs bladder across a bit of grass and through a couple of wooden poles! Nottingham County FC first.

4_zpstjoih8xx.jpg

And Nottingham Forrest's ground next.

6_zpsoxoysbux.jpg

And lastly you did get a good view of Radcliff on Trent Power Station, one of my favourite places for a safety brew.

5_zpsfpqprzny.jpg

Well that's it, took 5 years to resurface, sorry I forgot the name of the site manager, but if you do see this again just enjoy the views that's what it's all about.

Cheers.

TLR.

Last edited:

Blinker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice work there. I would love to do an incinerator tower, but am worried about getting incinerated myself if it becomes active during a climb. I know there is always an inner flue, but I imagine that gets red hot. Did you chance it, or have knowledge it was on shutdown?

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
It was shut down, but tbh the flue gasses aren't that hot when they exit the top of the chimney, just don't stick your head over the top. Glass work or foundry chimneys are probably the ones to avoid when on line!

green godess

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely Views with amazing definition and clarity. What a lovely way to spend some time. Thanks for sharing with the group !