real time web analytics
Report - - Oakwood Mill, Stalybridge, 09/24 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Oakwood Mill, Stalybridge, 09/24

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
Yeah so much for a break, I’ll stick to this hobby for a while

History taken from Wikipedia Commons

Oakwood Mill, Millbrook, near Stalybridge This is a very ruinous mill that is part demolished. The mill was erected in 1851 as the 'New Mill' of the Staley Mill Co. in 1908 the original beam engine was replaced by a Yates & Thom triple expansion engine. Cotton spinning ceased in 1961 and it was put to use for a while by a bleaching and dyeing company. Colin Bowden and Ian Haynes - Stalybridge Cotton Mills (1990) have helped with identification and captioning.

I heard from a friend that the place was used to house POWs during WW2, how correct this is I don’t know.

This place is fun, it’s my sort of quick mooch where it’s stupid, dangerous and overgrown. The place was notorious for a collapse in 2019 I think, due to freeze thaw damage on the roof, plus lots of holes and damage all along the site tells me it hasn’t got long left.
Looking around there is lots of lovely features, such as the engine house having beautiful tiled brick, and little cuts of the gantry rail still mounted with classic arches, and the main building is just stunning with its clock tower. I failed to get up those but if you’ve been, you’d understand the stairs are atrocious.
Worth it if you’re in the area and fancy some classic ruins, I think it was nice at least. The photos are more for aesthetics than for showing the place but I’ll fit in what I can

IMG_9147.jpeg

Engine house. You can see the tiles and little bits of the rail on the sides

IMG_7017.jpeg

IMG_7028.jpeg

IMG_9155.jpeg

Lovely lift gear

IMG_9162.jpeg

IMG_9178.jpeg

IMG_9174.jpeg

It is very lush and overgrown, it’s stunning

IMG_9182.jpeg

IMG_9211.jpeg

IMG_9234.jpeg

IMG_9238.jpeg

Looking up the small goods shaft (?)

IMG_9214.jpeg

The worst stairs I’ve ever ascended

IMG_9176.jpeg

IMG_9205.jpeg

IMG_9203.jpeg

IMG_9202.jpeg

Crawlspaces

IMG_9215.jpeg

Clocktower

IMG_9227.jpeg

Pretty photos

IMG_9149.jpeg

IMG_9160.jpeg

IMG_9166.jpeg

IMG_9180.jpeg

IMG_9188.jpeg

Twattery

IMG_9247.jpeg

IMG_9253.jpeg

And some photos from the nearby power station, as I’m very proud of them

IMG_9126.jpeg

IMG_9142.jpeg

IMG_9130.jpeg

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
Pretty clean that, unusual to see places like this not covered in graffiti, nice work
To be fair, it is a known death trap and you can see it in the photos. I wouldn’t be surprised if even the kids know to stay out of this one