real time web analytics
Report - - Redcliffe Caves, Bristol - May 2014 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Redcliffe Caves, Bristol - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hector Rex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Explored twice with Seffy, WhoDare
sWins and End-proc​

So this is my first NP report!

Well late one night we decided to head down to Redcliffe Caves and have a mooch, after exploring for an hour or so we decided leave and return with maps, a compass, candles and End-Proc. which we did a few days later, minus the map, compass and lighter for the candles.. Either way it was a fun explore, would have been better with a map and compass so we wouldn't end up going in endless circles but hey, we got some cracking shots and we'll have to return with a map next time. not to mention on our first visit there was a good quantity of BBC camera gear down there.. All gone by our second visit as they'd finished filming..

History shamelessly pinched from various sites:

The term Caves should not really be applied, rather Mines since the whole area, both discovered, undiscovered and backfilled was excavated and backfilled by man; there is no natural caves and in the far reaches of the caves the pickmarks are easily discernible. The red sandstone rock was converted into sand and put to several uses - the glass making trade to manufacture cheap brown bottles and the pottery trade to make a slip for glazing pottery

The caves are located in a hill of red sandstone. On a geological map of the area this hill of sandstone stretches from just over the Floating Harbour around to just before Temple Meads, about ¼ of a mile into Bedminster and over to near the Lloyds Building. The accessible caves cover just over an acre but it is recorded that they did cover between 9 to 12 acres but due to modern buildings, sewers and a railway tunnel most of the ‘lost’ caves will probably not be relocated. One other point of interest is than about 400 feet beneath this wharf are tunnels from the Bedminster Coal Field.

The Red Sandstone was dug out by pick and shovel, mainly for use in the glassmaking trade; there are no natural caves. So really the caves should be renamed Redcliffe Mines but the word mine refers to the extraction of a mineral so perhaps they should be renamed Redcliffe Quarry. After the mining effort the caves were put to other uses for storage of valuable goods, glassware, pottery and packing materials and also as a dumping ground.

Anywho, I've managed to copy and paste after consuming a bottle of fine wine.. Here are some photos of the caves: I brought my light dome on our second visit:

RCC5of25_zps18b6ba49.jpg

RCC6of25_zpscab04d6e.jpg

RCC8of25_zps170bc3dc.jpg

RCC11of25_zpsd5834f94.jpg

RCC12of25_zpsfdd62e41.jpg

RCC13of25_zps10914b85.jpg

RCC15of25_zpsa2ae59cf.jpg

RCC17of25_zps4a1bafe4.jpg

RCC19of25_zpsa30c9a13.jpg

RCC20of25_zpsfcc32bee.jpg

RCC24of25_zps31214ea2.jpg

RCC25of25_zpsd62e740e.jpg

Holidayinn-57_zps150dd65e.jpg

Holidayinn-60_zps240f95ac.jpg

I hope you like the pictures. I was going to remove my watermarks but opening and exporting them all in light room was effort so you'll just have to live with it!

Thanks for looking,

HR

Last edited:

Seffy

Staff member
Re: Redcliffe Caves

Sick pix bro. Good nights these!

Random fact: This is post is coming to you live from the top of a tower crane.

georgie

He Never Even Got There
28DL Full Member

Can you pop a date on your report header bud

Far too much light-painting for my liking

Just sayin like

Hector Rex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Can you pop a date on your report header bud

Far too much light-painting for my liking

Just sayin like

Title updated :)

Hmmmm, sounds very hypocritical considering that the first two of your reports have light painting in too :P all personal opinions though.. to be honest most of the torch trails were accidental..

Last edited:

georgie

He Never Even Got There
28DL Full Member
What first 2 reports

Everyone is entitled to their opinion fella i just thought it was a bit much just swirling a torch on every pic

If your referring to the court report yes one picture out of the entire report

Hector Rex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sorry man, it's just a busy morning..

If you reckon, it's just me marching about with my head torch in the mmajority between flash firing. I would have preferred it not no be there in most of the shots, but not bumping into things with my flash is top priority, especially when I broke a speed light exploring a few weeks ago!

Sorry for sounding like a dick, I'm just a bit stressed and shouldn't be on here :P

HR

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You are obviously a decent photographer Hector but the light painting is a bit distracting, also just wondering why this is in NP seeing that all the Beeb stuff had gone by your last visit.

Hector Rex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Now everyone is pointing it out the light painting's starting to annoy me too! Ahhh well, just another excuse to visit again

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
Now everyone is pointing it out the light painting's starting to annoy me too! Ahhh well, just another excuse to visit again

Go for it mate :thumb You could get some classic pictures there. Very envious - the only time I went was on an open day with half the population of Bristol