real time web analytics
Report - - RNTE Shotley (HMS Ganges) June 2016 / Oct 2019 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RNTE Shotley (HMS Ganges) June 2016 / Oct 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jsp77

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

Royal Naval Training Establishment Shotley, known in the Royal Navy as HMS Ganges, was a naval training establishment at Shotley, near Ipswich in Suffolk. Starting in 1905, it trained boys for naval service until 1973 (The school-leaving age was raised to 16 so ended the recruitment of 15-year-old boy sailors).

mast11.jpg

143 feet to the top of the mast

In September 1973, HMS Ganges admitted adult entrants to the Royal Navy who only underwent 6 weeks training (6-week wonders) (the same as at HMS Raleigh near Plymouth)

It finally closed in 1976 and had a mixed reputation in the Royal Navy, both for its reputed harsh methods of training boys in order to turn out professionally able, self-reliant ratings and for the professionalism of its former trainees. It is particularly famous for its 143-foot (44 m)-high mast which all boys under training were required to ascend, at least to the half-moon and for the mast manning ceremonies held whenever a dignitary visited the establishment.

During the later 1980s and until 1999 RNTE Shotley was used as a residential centre for civilian police officers to complete their basic training. Forces which used this centre included Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Thames Valley and South Wales. The Suffolk and Essex police forces used the site on an ad hoc basis in 2007

swimming pool postcard 1942.jpg

a postcard I found online from 1942

swimming pool 1.jpg

another photo of the swimming pool in use - date unknown

Explore

I first visited the site in October 2016 but wasn't very eventful as most buildings were not accessible at the time, how ever we did manage to get in to the upstairs of the canteen and I got a few externals. Roll on to June 2019 I met up early hours near by and once onsite we made our way straight to the swimming pool and then slowly worked our way around the site.

10.jpg

20.jpg

30.jpg

40.jpg

50.jpg

60.jpg

70.jpg

80.jpg

90.jpg

100.jpg

110.jpg

120.jpg

130.jpg

140.jpg

150.jpg

160.jpg

170.jpg

180.jpg

190.jpg

The next area is the upstairs part of the canteen from 2016

10.jpg

20.jpg

30.jpg

50.jpg

below are a few externals from what I believe are the kitchens/canteen

60.jpg

70.jpg

80.jpg

below is the sports hall

90.jpg

100.jpg

looking through all my photos this seems to be the only photo I could find of the mast

to be continued.......

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some fantastic composition in those shots there. I miss this place dearly, I think a lot of it is houses now and many parts have been stripped. I think the signal school and the buildings surrounding it are still hanging in there. I've climbed that water tower many times - lovely views from the top of the docks and beyond!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Absolute cracker of a report. Lovely shots. Some much to love here and miss :( The old photos are fab.

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice take on the place. I loved Ganges, was so much too see. We had two separate days here too cover it all. I know everyone went for the pool mainly. But the signals school was my favourite bit. I loved the brickwork and the colours in there.

jsp77

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some fantastic composition in those shots there. I miss this place dearly, I think a lot of it is houses now and many parts have been stripped. I think the signal school and the buildings surrounding it are still hanging in there. I've climbed that water tower many times - lovely views from the top of the docks and beyond!
cheers Dansgas, which I had a bit more time as there's a few bits we didn't have the time for. Agreed great views from the towers
Absolute cracker of a report. Lovely shots. Some much to love here and miss :( The old photos are fab.
Thanks Calamity. Glad you like the old photos, I shall try and keep adding the odd one here and there to any future reports....

jsp77

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really nice take on the place. I loved Ganges, was so much too see. We had two separate days here too cover it all. I know everyone went for the pool mainly. But the signals school was my favourite bit. I loved the brickwork and the colours in there.
thanks Mikey, there was so much to love and see. Could have done with an extra day to get round the parts we missed. Yes signals was nice with the colours and liked the northly water tower.

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
thanks Mikey, there was so much to love and see. Could have done with an extra day to get round the parts we missed. Yes signals was nice with the colours and liked the northly water tower.
Yeah not many did the northerly tower. The only thing we did not do was the battery sadly.