real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - South Ockendon Mental Colony Hall - January 2024 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) South Ockendon Mental Colony Hall - January 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User

SouthOckendonHospital (47 of 49).jpg

Background

Just a quick one today - nearly didn't bother reporting but thought it'd be of interest to those into your county asylums and mental deficiency colonies. South Ockendon was one of the latter - a kind of spin-off institution to the asylums, of the likes of Harperbury, which were created in the early 20th century to separate those with mental disabilities from the mentally ill in the asylums. This development of mental institutions coincided with the mentally disabled finding themselves with a job often in farming during WW1 no longer having work when the veterans came back, as well as the questionable beliefs of social Darwinism on the rise during this period which sought to separate such people from society and prevent them from breeding. So some interesting background to these places. They often took the form of villa/colony-style institutions of individual buildings due to their more modern conceptualisation and agricultural work-based focus compared to the county asylums, although in many ways they were still very similar places in their design and function.

I always like an architecture description, so I suppose the buildings were the sort of fairly drab brick-heavy development of traditional Neo-Georgian which you seem to see a lot in houses of the 1930s-1940s, perhaps reflecting a move away from Art Deco in light of the Great Depression and oncoming wartime, as well as appearing more domestic in keeping with the villa plan. The only mental hospital I can think of similar to this is maybe Barrow, both being quite late. It's a charmingly unsexy style.

The South Ockendon Colony was constructed upon Little Mollands Farm; which was bought in 1905 by West Ham Borough Council for use as a farm colony providing three months of work to men not entitled to unemployment benefit. The colony opened in 1932, largely comprising 2-storey villa accommodation separated by open pathways. It was originally intended to have 750 beds, but was limited to 520 at the outbreak of WW2. It was absorbed into the NHS and renamed South Ockendon Hospital. By 1968, the hospital had 1,065 beds with new post-war villas. Like the asylums, these institutions suffered from deteriorating conditions and malpractice towards the end of their lifespan and this place suffered hard. The hospital closed in 1994, and saw the swift demolition of many of its buildings.

These 1994 photographs I managed to pull out from the Essex Record Office as there wasn't any good images of the buildings online. They were black and white so I recoloured them using Photoshop so enjoy this original research :thumb

SouthOckendonHospital1994-7-of-7-scaled.jpg

Admin

SouthOckendonHospital1994-4-of-7-scaled.jpg

A ward

SouthOckendonHospital1994-5-of-7-scaled.jpg

Boilerhouse/utility area with top of water tower in view behind

The Visit

So whilst doing some deep-focused asylum digging last year I suddenly found out that such an institution existed in Essex not far from me. I had no idea about this, somehow it had escaped my attention and seemingly that of much of the internet. A bit of googling found that the colony buildings were nearly all demolished, except for the recreation hall and a few connecting buildings that was now a social club. I sent a hopeful email out to the social club and thankfully I got a response.

They were more than happy to show me around, and after some trouble trying to find a date myself and @KismetJ were free, we finally made a visit in the new year. The place has had a few modern additions including the bar on the side and a few other bits, but otherwise it's quite authentic. The hall was huge and very nicely kept. They had to have the original Crittall windows replaced but thankfully went to the effort of retaining the original shape in the new double glazing. All the curtains were down at the time and I'm glad I asked for them to be put up, as much as I felt bad for it! Kismet and I noticed a projector hole in the top of the hall so instantly started wondering. We asked and the gentleman kindly showed us in the projector room. It had clearly been left for some time and had a lot of old features including some original projecting and electrical equipment. As well as the hall, there was some other bits of side building that would have originally connected to the larger central building. Not much left, but enough to adequately get a feel for it.

There's some more photographs and info viewable here for those that want to learn a bit more, but I thought I'd keep this post pretty light.

SouthOckendonHospital (38 of 49).jpg

SouthOckendonHospital (1 of 49).jpg

SouthOckendonHospital (2 of 49).jpg

SouthOckendonHospital (7 of 49).jpg

SouthOckendonHospital (23 of 49).jpg

SouthOckendonHospital (21 of 49).jpg

SouthOckendonHospital (19 of 49).jpg

SouthOckendonHospital (17 of 49).jpg

SouthOckendonHospital (11 of 49).jpg

The projector room. It had been fitted with a few disco-light bits but still seemed to have some old kit in situ.

SouthOckendonHospital (13 of 49).jpg

SouthOckendonHospital (12 of 49).jpg

Maybe part of a projector?

SouthOckendonHospital (14 of 49).jpg

The dial made me happy

SouthOckendonHospital (16 of 49).jpg

Im assuming an old stage light

SouthOckendonHospital (18 of 49).jpg

Under the hall

SouthOckendonHospital (10 of 49).jpg

SouthOckendonHospital (28 of 49).jpg

Originally outdoor corridor beyond the side of the hall

SouthOckendonHospital (30 of 49).jpg

SouthOckendonHospital (32 of 49).jpg

The back of the hall still bore a superintendent sign which was nice

SouthOckendonHospital (31 of 49).jpg

SouthOckendonHospital (34 of 49).jpg

The surviving row of offices extending from the hall/kitchen area

SouthOckendonHospital (26 of 49).jpg

Inside

SouthOckendonHospital (27 of 49).jpg

SouthOckendonHospital (43 of 49).jpg

Post-war gates to the hospital reading SOH

That's all folks :brew

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
Got to love that timber flooring in the adjoining corridor. Thanks for sharing mate.
I'm hoping that wasn't lino haha, it could have been original though! Not much of a corridor but gave a bit of a glimpse into how the rest of the building would've looked

Wastelandr

Regular User
@Speed just looked at your Turner village Colchester report from 2005. Looks like that place was quite similar to this, sadly not too many images of it internally online

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Yeh, its basically an arc lamp that can be setup to either project slides or in that case just do the lighting.

Turner Village.. think that was my first ever report on here! Spotted it on my way back from Severalls one day.. oh theres a water tower there.. oh yes its got a derelict hospital attached of course.. A completely normal occurrence for 2005.. Was the same kind of place, half a horseshoe of ward villas with a central hub of communal buildings. Think some of it had already been demolished some years prior.. Never really managed to get in much of it as there was always better places to be back then.. Ive always known them as idiot colonies. Idiot being the most severe class of mentally deficient.. Idiot trumps Imbecile trumps Moron.. all technical terms that have fallen out of favour but I still use correctly just to annoy my girlfriend who works with those kind of people. Think my favourite was Leybourne Grange down near Maidstone. A lot of them got built round old country houses. Great Barr, Haperbury.. sure there many more ive forgotten.