real time web analytics
Report - - St Brigid's Asylum, Ballinasloe - July 2024 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Brigid's Asylum, Ballinasloe - July 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KismetJ

28DL Member
28DL Member
Whilst I've explored lots of asylums and other abandoned remains with @Wastelandr I haven't really posted much on here so thought I would start doing some more. This place was one of about 17 asylums we visited on a 1,000 mile road-trip around Ireland - I'll leave it to Wastelandr to do one of his big roundup reports on the trip - but here's one of the places that we visited.

History:

A lot of the asylums in Ireland were built quite early and St Brigid's opened in 1833 as the Connacht Asylum, changing names to the Ballinasloe District Asylum in 1850 and 100 years later, in 1950, it was finally renamed St Brigid's after Saint Brigid, the patroness of healing and protection.

Opening with 150 beds, the asylum had a catchment area of 6,800 square miles, or 1.4 million people and overcrowding was a common issue.

Built in an 'X' shape, the asylum didn't have wards like later asylums, instead each corridor was lined with small rooms for patients. This meant that staff had to walk through locked wards to move around the site.

By the turn of the 20th century a new detached block was built to the north of the existing building - this could accommodate 260 patients and was a cheaper alternative to building a new asylum elsewhere. Patient numbers were at 1,800 by the 1930's.

Patient numbers started to reduce from the 1970's and the hospital finally closed in 2013, 180 years after it first opened.

Explore:

We arrived at the site at around 6pm with @Bugsuperstar who also joined us for the explore. What we thought would be something fairly easy to get into, proved a bit more tricky with recently boarded up windows and some pretty high hoarding which was too high to climb. Luckily we eventually found a way in, not how we expected...

We had a good couple of hours inside before it became dark, but fortunately we got to see the best bits. It appears that most of the beds and furniture have been moved however there's still some nice bits left.

Photos:

St Brigids Drone-2.jpg

St Brigids-57.jpg

St Brigids-43.jpg

St Brigids-50.jpg

St Brigids-23.jpg

St Brigids-42.jpg

St Brigids-28.jpg

St Brigids-31 copy.jpg

@Wastelandr in one of the padded cells

St Brigids-20.jpg

St Brigids-10.jpg

St Brigids-14.jpg

St Brigids-34.jpg

St Brigids-35.jpg

St Brigids-29.jpg

St Brigids-47.jpg

St Brigids-6 copy.jpg

St Brigids-26.jpg

St Brigids-38.jpg

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Great post nice to see you get one up :p to think we almost didn't make it in! I'm never saying 'this one should be easy at least' ever again :rofl. Photos came out nice, saw a few bits I missed.

Wonder if anyone knows more about the rubberised 'padded' cells? They seemed to be the real deal but a lot different to the classic Pocock style.

tumbles

Crusty Juggler
Staff member
Wonder if anyone knows more about the rubberised 'padded' cells? They seemed to be the real deal but a lot different to the classic Pocock style.

From the pics above they look like more modern seclusion cells - which can be used for variety of things like safe space/quiet/isolation space. Look similar to one I saw in the medium secure unit at Barrow like 15 years ago. May also be for severe epilepsy/seizures

Wastelandr

Regular User
From the pics above they look like more modern seclusion cells - which can be used for variety of things like safe space/quiet/isolation space. Look similar to one I saw in the medium secure unit at Barrow like 15 years ago. May also be for severe epilepsy/seizures
Think you're right in that they're probably a bit more modern, maybe mid-20thC if I had to guess? They were quite large cells and were located separately in pairs after the standard rooms. The whole thing was rubberised and seems to have been moulded to the room although seemed to have hardened up a bit. The gutter along the edges, presumably where nasty things would've gone, suggests they might have been fairly brutal in their use. One had a window shutter left so that suggests the window could be covered although it didn't survive well enough to tell what it was.

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Yessss. It was a blast to meet up over those few days mate. Excellent pics for sure! You might see some of mine in about 8 years ha

tumbles

Crusty Juggler
Staff member
Think you're right in that they're probably a bit more modern, maybe mid-20thC if I had to guess? They were quite large cells and were located separately in pairs after the standard rooms. The whole thing was rubberised and seems to have been moulded to the room although seemed to have hardened up a bit. The gutter along the edges, presumably where nasty things would've gone, suggests they might have been fairly brutal in their use. One had a window shutter left so that suggests the window could be covered although it didn't survive well enough to tell what it was.

I dug out a pic of the seclusion cell at Barrow, it was like a hard vinyl or something but sitll soft enough that you couldn't do yourself harm in it.

028.jpg

Wastelandr

Regular User
I dug out a pic of the seclusion cell at Barrow, it was like a hard vinyl or something but sitll soft enough that you couldn't do yourself harm in it.

028.jpg
Interesting, could've been similar to that then! Couldn't tell if the rubber had hardened over time or was always like that

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Interesting, could've been similar to that then! Couldn't tell if the rubber had hardened over time or was always like that

They were interesting alright. Kind of reminded me of a mix of the “harder” seclusion rooms at High Royds -

IMG_5714.jpeg

And the traditional padded cell like what was at west park.

Definitely hard to tell if the rubbery wall coverings here had just hardened over time though.