real time web analytics
Report - - Victoria arches, Manchester, March 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Victoria arches, Manchester, March 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
Thanks very much too all esp Jobs for making this possible,
been on my list for a while now please too finally get this done.
Visited with Jobs, Paradox and 2 fellow explorers ( apologies I forgot your names),
pleasure too meet you all.

The Victoria arches are a network of brick arches built in the retaining wall of the Irwell,
(Manchesters principal waterway) during 1838 they are about 100yds west of Mounts bank.
Originally used for steam packet cruises and business premises, these were abandoned earlier in the 20th century
during the 2nd world war they were converted for use as air raid shelters with the installation of blast walls capable of holding 1619.
The arches were bricked up too top of arch and the steps removed or filled in during the 1970s,
there were also public conveniences which had access via the arches and street these too are bricked up too top of arch or filled in.

SAM_1792_zpssqh2wgcy.jpg

SAM_1793_zpsyy5pvc9l.jpg

SAM_1794_zpsbcin7k88.jpg

SAM_1796_zpscp3kqgir.jpg

SAM_1798_zpsmnpq8yxc.jpg

SAM_1795_zpsnlsdmpey.jpg

SAM_1805_zpsipnuqipg.jpg

SAM_1806_zps8odafrgw.jpg

Jobs having a well earned rest
SAM_1800_zpsa0af1pcj.jpg

SAM_1799_zpsyri3rfyu.jpg

public conveniences
SAM_1802_zpswuxm7cyo.jpg

SAM_1801_zpsyomsekbg.jpg

SAM_1804_zpsvojvyxdj.jpg

air conditioning & safe
SAM_1803_zpsqxhwhm8z.jpg
SAM_1797_zpsvqicvx0a.jpg

stranton

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one Stranton :thumb Glad you enjoyed it too and you did cracking job getting in an out :D

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh mate, I absolutely hate/am terrified of heights and water, that to me was my ultimate nightmare! I got about ten steps in and just froze Jobs had to come and hold my hand to get me to move!

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details