real time web analytics
Report - - Weekend trip to the Paris catacombes, sept 24 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Weekend trip to the Paris catacombes, sept 24

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Doozer

Probably underground somewhere
Regular User
Visited with @Oxygen Thief @Ojay and @Llama. Thanks guys for a top weekend 👌. We visited the western side of the GRS on day one as I’ve only been to the east so it was nice to tick off the parts I hadn’t done before. The first port of call was ment to be the reservoir at montsouris but the water was too high along the passageway and eventually we all breached so had to turn around but not before getting a few photos

a7d6ed33-e4ec-411f-8e4e-45f20ca0387c.jpeg

b92ea8de-ccff-4aa1-ae97-45db4d6c6de6.jpeg
the next port of call was saint Anne, A lovely little part of the mine which was converted into a shelter during the war for the above hospital. It also had some nice artwork in there too
IMG_6160.jpeg

IMG_6161.jpeg

IMG_6162.jpeg

IMG_6165.jpeg

IMG_6166.jpeg

IMG_6168.jpeg

IMG_6167.jpeg

IMG_6169.jpeg

IMG_6170.jpeg

IMG_6159.jpeg
next up was VDC (val de grace) where by this point I was 3 parts pissed so i didn’t get as many photos as id of liked but the one i did get was of a rare ceiling compass, to my knowledge and correct me if im wrong but there are only 3 of these in the whole of the GRS
IMG_6180.jpeg
i also thought the mosaic type floor in this room was pretty cool
IMG_6177.jpeg
a couple of photos @Llama took
0e76eeac-70be-4f84-81bc-24666ddbac27.jpeg

aed0e636-7ff1-458b-8b7c-9dcbdb46228e.jpeg
we then went to a room to meet llamas French friends for a couple of drinks before heading out. By this time I was completely wrecked and can’t remember the journey out 😂 after a 12 hour stint underground I couldn’t wait to get back to the hotel and sleep. Day two was a trip down la vanne which is to the south of the GRS. Once through its flooded passageways you were greeted with some nice stone archways and old signs leading you the stairs of the original entrance
IMG_6183.jpeg

IMG_6184.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

IMG_6220.jpeg

IMG_6195.jpeg

IMG_6194.jpeg

IMG_6207.jpeg
once we reached the stairs we got to see a beautiful plaque on the wall stating the name and year the passageways were consolidated
IMG_6197.jpeg

IMG_6206.jpeg
we then headed to fort de montrouge which was a part of the mine which sat below the montrouge fort on the surface. The fort entrance had an iron gate and a solid wall at the end of the passageway which had tapered gun slots to protect the fort above being penetrated from below.
IMG_6210.jpeg

IMG_6213.jpeg

IMG_6214.jpeg
the fort also had parts of the original mine that are untouched by the IGC so you really get a feel for how these mines under Paris would of looked like back in the day
IMG_6211.jpeg

IMG_6215.jpeg
by this we had to start making our way back out as we had a ferry to catch but not before passing some nice wells
IMG_6218.jpeg

After another 5 hours underground on day two which totals 17 hours underground over the weekend. Got to tick off a few more places on the map I hadn’t seen before and shared the experience in good company.
Thanks for looking 👍