real time web analytics
Report - - Wenalt AAOR Bunker, Cardiff, April 2024 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wenalt AAOR Bunker, Cardiff, April 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bawdy.horror

28DL Member
28DL Member
History
One of several Anti Aircraft Operations Rooms built between the second world war and the cold war as a part of the UK's air defences, rendered obselete around 1956 by such charming innovations as guided missiles and the hydrogen bomb. Converted into BT's chief war headquarters for wales, but abandoned before the work could be completed. At some point between then and now a couple of arsonists had their fun, and the site is now gutted by fire, flaking and peeling with visible burn marks. Shame about the current condition but it must've looked spectacular while it burned.

The Trip
Went against my usual routine and took a friend along to this one cos everything I'd seen on here and other places was giving me the fear, and a lone tran traipsing into places like this is the start of a lot of horror stories. Between the fire damage, black stained walls and ominous graffiti it sure is quite the spectacle, looking more like something you'd find after the end of days rather than in sleepy Cardiff. Possibly appropriate, given that the site was constructed to serve in the event of the cold war going hot. Still, other than the bastard of a hill we had to climb to reach the thing, we found no opposition and were quite alone for the entirety of the 'splore. The access vent was easy enough to scrabble into for me, but I had to shove my less experienced accomplice in by the ass. Our torches were slightly inadequate and I struggled to get enough light for my camera, especially in the larger rooms. This was my first time shooting in the pitch dark, so the quality of my images took a knock (not that I was great to begin with). Not much to see other than old machinery and the aforementioned graffiti, but well worth a visit if you like your derelicts on the creepy side.

Pictures

DSC_0596.JPG

DSC_0481.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

DSC_0588.JPG

DSC_0477.JPG

DSC_0500.JPG

DSC_0470.JPG

DSC_0526.JPG

DSC_0598.JPG

DSC_0589.JPG

DSC_0523.JPG