real time web analytics
Question - - Why is there a Car Stop marker on this Viaduct? | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Why is there a Car Stop marker on this Viaduct?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

FeatherWing

28DL Member
28DL Member
I've just recently explored the Holbeck Viaduct in Leeds and upon it, just before the first metal bridge section that curves, right after the Holbeck Depot, I found a 9 Car Stop marker.
This raised a lot of questions for me as you only find these on platforms as they tell a driver where to stop at the station relative to how many carriages are on their train, but there's no platform on this viaduct, not that you could fit one anyways.

The marker is of the style still used today, which tracks since the viaduct was fully abandoned in 1987-88. So I just wanted to ask if anyone here happened to know why it's there as I can't think of any reason for its existance?

Sign.jpg

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
I'm no expert on trains but maybe its a pre marker, maybe in those days they had multiple markers incase the driver missed one and it is a sign for a platform after the viaduct.

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Yeah it’s for train “cars” also known as carriages, you see them on station platforms as well. So that one will apply to trains which are 9 carriages long

FeatherWing

28DL Member
28DL Member
I'm no expert on trains but maybe its a pre marker, maybe in those days they had multiple markers incase the driver missed one and it is a sign for a platform after the viaduct.
Well I can guarantee it wasn't for a platform, since not only is there no way up to the Viaduct from Ground level there, a platform there would be about a foot and a half in depth, so not really viable.