real time web analytics
Report - - WW2 Airfield Battle Headquarters, Kent - Jun 2018 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - WW2 Airfield Battle Headquarters, Kent - Jun 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
This place is only small but has remained in a very good condition and has obviously been maintained in the past due to the addition of modern electrics and emergency lighting installations. Some of the original furnishings also still remain in situ including tables and chairs.

Battle Headquarters were found on many airfields and provided the defence officer a hardened and secure location from which he and his staff could coordinate the defences of the airfield in the event of an invasion by hostile forces.

The standard pattern for battle headquarters was drawn up In 1941 and was to be used on any type of airfield from bomber, fighter and flying training and has an assigned air ministry building number.

There are a number of these remaining throughout the UK left abandoned and open to the elements though I have seen very few that compare to the condition of this one.

I had looked at this place about 8 years back with another member but back then the site was monitored by airport security who would quickly respond in their 4x4 as soon as you were spotted by the cameras or airport control tower. Id managed to gain entry in the dead of the night only to be disappointed with what we found inside. I suppose at the time I didn't know the purpose or history of the place and wrote it off due to not being 'epic enough'. I guess that is why generally this location appears to be overlooked by most others.

With the decline and eventual closure of the airfield the security had become much more relaxed making it pretty straightforward to access the HQ. I decided to go back with my camera and spend some time documenting the place before it eventually gets sealed, filled, burnt out or the inevitable tour bus rolls up. An added bonus came after playing about with the electrics and moving some light tubes around and managing to get the power on and lights working. For somewhere left abandoned for so long it is rare to go to the trouble of upgrading the lighting and fitting emergency lighting.

I don't think this has been reported on before here and so is definitely worthy of documenting.....hope you enjoy the pics.

Here is the access shaft leading from the bunker up to the bomb proof observation post and also the emergency exit from the HQ.
42099967094_6758af1129_z.jpg

42768603852_0c70b0240e_z.jpg

The base of the access shaft leads through a small passage joining it to this room which was the Defence officers room
42768456952_5d245b6031_z.jpg

From the defence officer room is the main corridor linking the remaining parts of the Headquarters. This leads through to the Messengers and Runners Room
42768342342_3900262c16_z.jpg

Beyond the Messengers and Runners Room is the PBX room which was used to house the telecoms equipment
28944165258_285e97581f_z.jpg

Remains of the telecoms equipment within the PBX room
42768373462_eb93cfaeea_z.jpg

An interesting feature of this particular Battle HQ is the addition of a room used to house the fuse box for the modernised electrics. I am unsure of the original use of this room as this was never part of the approved plans and is completely unique to this location.

42099931234_db7b0c8e74_z.jpg

Tested 1979
41006933910_2369827c75_z.jpg

42817337511_743e54a6fb_z.jpg