real time web analytics
Question - - 16th century Tunnels underneath Winchester-Hampshire? | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - 16th century Tunnels underneath Winchester-Hampshire?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

LeSaint

28DL Member
28DL Member
I can state there isn't any tunnels under the Guildhall as I was involved in the works 15 odd years ago and discovered nothing, we had some pretty intense surveys carried out and could see the foundations of the Abbey which occupied the land previously. Also, that area towards the bottom of the high street is covered with small streams coming off the main river which became apparent when we found old Roman drainage systems under the old fire station. We did however find a secret room in Abbey House, the Mayoral residence next door to the current Guildhall which was pretty cool.

What you have to remember is that Winchester and in particular the High Street/Broadwalk areas have a high water table and peaty soil it isn't the most ideal place to tunnel, that said, certainly around the Castle and the Great Hall I could believe there are some underground areas due to the level of the current developments in the area.

Who has read this thread (Total: 247) View details