real time web analytics
Report - - ICI Ardeer Power Station, Stevenston - September 2024 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ICI Ardeer Power Station, Stevenston - September 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
September 2024

The Visit

Visited with @Mr Budge and @MotionlessMike during a three-day tour of Scotland, we arrived at the site quite early and soon found ourselves navigating through a narrow entrance. The structure was impressive, showcasing a captivating level of natural decay. We started our exploration from the ground floor and gradually made our way up to the roof, determined to see as much as possible. After what felt like hours of wandering, we noticed a car circling the building. It became clear that Secca had caught wind of our presence.

We quickly shifted our focus to making an exit, snapping a few photos along the way. Once outside, we found a spot to hide, only to see a police van drive by. It dawned on us that there were now four officers surveying the building alongside Secca. After a brief discussion, we concluded that the best course of action was to approach them and surrender. This turned out to be a fortunate choice, as we encountered some of the friendliest officers I've met in my decade of exploring. They promptly conducted the usual name and address checks, and we spent about ten minutes chatting about our adventures. They even offered us a ride back to our car, and soon enough, we were off to our next destination.

History
Ardeer, located on Scotland's west coast in Ayrshire, was home to the UK's first dynamite factory, established by Alfred B. Nobel. This facility grew to become the largest explosives factory in the world and played a significant role in the development of the surrounding Ayrshire towns, including Stevenston, Irvine, Saltcoats, and Ardrossan, particularly after becoming part of ICI in 1926.

The factory was crucial not only for Nobel's Explosives but also for ICI as a whole. It pioneered a variety of high explosives that transformed the mining and engineering sectors, facilitating the extraction of vital minerals and supporting major infrastructure projects like harbors, canals, railways, roads, and utilities. Additionally, Ardeer became a key research hub for ICI, leading to the creation of numerous non-explosive products and the establishment of new company divisions.

However, by the 1990s, Ardeer's prosperity waned, largely due to the decline of the British deep coal mining industry. Shifts in global trade patterns for high explosives and rising competition from alternative products resulted in the downsizing and eventual closure of significant portions of the factory. The expansive 2000-acre site was subsequently sold off. Today, much of the original 1871 factory and its later expansions have been cleared.

In 2006, ICI Chemicals and Polymers sold 1671 acres of the original site to NPL Group, marking it as one of Scotland's largest brownfield regeneration projects. The current plans for the site include developing 918 acres for leisure activities, residential housing, a power plant, and mineral extraction.

IMG_0439.jpg

[1]

DSCF8383.jpg

[2]

DSCF8360.jpg

[3]

DSCF8358.jpg

[4]

DSCF8386.jpg

[5]

DSCF8363.jpg

[6]

DSCF8369.jpg

[7]

DSCF8413.jpg

[8]

DSCF8405.jpg

[9]

DSCF8409.jpg

[10]

DSCF8393.jpg

[11]

IMG_0461.jpg

[12]
Cheers for looking :thumb
Fujifilm X-T2, 10-24mm f4 R OIS WR (Velvia)​

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
I need to get here at some point, those boilers are stunning
I need to see the rest of the ICI Nobel site if it’s still standing, the decay is beautiful

Nothingtonobody

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is a wonderful report! It is a dream of mine to explore an intact power station. The machinery is stunning. I love your photography!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lovely pics, I do want to go here & do a proper explore as we only scratched a few parameter buildings, its worth it just for the ovens.