real time web analytics
Report - - Planet Ice, Norwich - June 2024 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Planet Ice, Norwich - June 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A place I have tried to see inside a few times with no luck. But was down at the Asda near it a few weeks back and decided to have a peep. And to my surprise I found away in, was a bit cheeky and brazen though. I think the last time I went in here was about fourteen years ago when it was still open. It was a hive of activity when it was opened, with big queues to get in. planet ice which is the largest operator of ice rinks in the UK, which own fourteen rinks operated this one from 2009 to 2012. The rink originally opened in 2006 but shut for a while and then shut again, till planet ice bought it. They shut it in 2012 temporarily for problems with the ice pad, and then found out it had structural problems which was going to be not viable to sort out. So they closed it permanently causing heartbreak for several skating clubs there and the hockey team. I can see why they had issues if it was to do with the concrete structure. The concrete structure dome was part of the sports village with hotel and leisure pool. Another dome sits the other side of the hotel and is in use with indoor tennis courts in it. The rink was sold a year or two back, but nothing has been done with it yet, apart from ripped about a bit. The ice pad is sat on sand and this has hundreds of rubber pipes flowing through it to freeze the pad. The rubber pipes have been strewn everywhere. Some stuff has been stored in it, and it’s very messy. But it was still great to finally get in here and see it, and the dome and the domed structure is impressive still.

IMG_4409.jpeg

IMG_4410.jpeg

IMG_4411.jpeg

IMG_4412.jpeg

IMG_4413.jpeg

IMG_4414.jpeg

IMG_4415.jpeg

IMG_4417.jpeg

IMG_4418.jpeg

IMG_4419.jpeg

IMG_4420.jpeg

IMG_4421.jpeg

IMG_4422.jpeg

IMG_4423.jpeg

IMG_4424.jpeg

IMG_4425.jpeg

IMG_4426.jpeg

IMG_4427.jpeg

Last edited:

UrbnPlnt

28DL Member
28DL Member
Very nicely done, haven't seen any ice rinks even less with no graffiti! Have you got any more pictures of the Skiing artwork?

Explore With Alex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Im pretty sure there was a youtube video i watched of a guy on a scooter on the roof of that doing tricks cause the roofs like a skatepark

JakeV50

"The Pump People"
Regular User
You kept this one quiet.
Always loved the way this looks from the outside, used to pass it very regularly.

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Very nicely done, haven't seen any ice rinks even less with no graffiti! Have you got any more pictures of the Skiing artwork?
Yeah it was nice not to see any vandalism as such. No these are the only pics I got sadly.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You kept this one quiet.
Payback from stitching Mikey up on our train visit I reckon :p

All jokes aside, nice shots mate and some nice angles. I always wondered how it looked inside. I remember going up on the roof a few times several years ago.

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Payback from stitching Mikey up on our train visit I reckon :p

All jokes aside, nice shots mate and some nice angles. I always wondered how it looked inside. I remember going up on the roof a few times several years ago.
The train thing is long forgotten ha ha. And you have got better. I just forgot, and everything I tell you about, you never bother going anyway :lol.
Cheers mate it was quite nice inside but quite dingy and hot.

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
That's a deceptively nice building ! Hope they do something with it in keeping with a public leisure facility theme. Imagine a world class indoor skatepark, I'd go every day

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Actually reminds me of the old Norwich brewery buildings! Can't really place it tho? What was it before the ice rink?

Who has read this thread (Total: 224) View details