real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Spadeadam, Cumbria, May 24 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Spadeadam, Cumbria, May 24

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

A bit of history taken from the RAF’s site.
RAF Spadeadam's first connection with modern defence came in the late 1950s when it was chosen as the site of the test establishment for the 'Blue Streak', Britain's intended Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM). Until then, the area had no activity at all and was referred to as the Spadeadam Waste.

The initial site was built by the Ministry of Aviation and was managed on their behalf by Rolls-Royce. It is their name that is most often associated with the early years of the Station.

In 1960 the Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile programme was cancelled but the project was immediately replaced by the European Launcher Development Organisation (ELDO), in which Britain joined with France and Germany to provide a European alternative to the American and Russian monopoly on satellite launchers.

In 1972 Britain withdrew from the European Launcher Development Organisation and the consortium withdrew from Spadeadam. At that point the site was handed over to the Proof and Experimental Establishment, for static firing and range activities.

In 1976 Spadeadam became a RAF Station and the location for Western Europe's first full scale Electronic Warfare Tactics Range, in January 1977.

The explore

As you will see from other reports of here…..an absolute slog to get here. It’s on the middle of nowhere! Started off with me and my non-member mate getting our feet well and truly soaked in the massive bogland that surrounds the area checking out what he thought was a tank! Before having to literally push some cows off the road.

IMG_3872.png

When we parked the car at our pre planned location and set off to navigate the route I’d planned to the planes it quickly became a apparent that the nice clear paths I’d seen to the planes turned out to be massively uneven, boggy and quite often filled with dense pine trees that went on for miles. It’s the first explore I’ve been on were I’ve stopped for lunch before actually getting to the location!
After a couple of hours walk we finally made it…..and oh was it worth it!
Mil Mi 24 attack chopper
IMG_3528.jpeg

DJI_20240602_122239_442.jpeg

DJI_20240602_123501_136.jpeg

DJI_20240602_122813_701.jpeg

We then proceeded to walk about another mile to where a dummy airfield has been set up presumably for test flights and weapons targeting. About a dozen planes, a tank, a refilling truck, various missiles and some shipping containers set up to mimic a control tower are dotted around the airfield In an impressive way.

Sukhoi 22M which was a Soviet fighter although this one appears to have flown for the East German air force (when Germany was two countries).
DJI_20240602_133128_719.jpeg

DJI_20240602_133502_794.jpeg

DJI_20240602_132915_355.jpeg

Dassault Mystere bombers which were French fighter jets. There are 8 on the airfield.
IMG_3511.jpeg

IMG_3494.jpeg

IMG_3500.jpeg

DJI_20240602_132037_378.jpeg

American Lockhead TT-3’s nicknamed shooting stars.

DJI_20240602_141049_414.jpeg

DJI_20240602_141224_160.jpeg

Lastly a tank that I believe was a dummy.

DJI_20240602_134858_055.jpeg

DJI_20240602_135018_976.jpeg

I‘m not sure if the paths are patrolled at all, we did see a fleet of military vehicles on the main roads heading back to the base but we didn’t see anyone else whilst we were here and there are signs advising not to enter the site…..although we only saw them on the way out as we decided to take a longer route back to avoid the bogland, the dry even paths were really appreciated!
Never done an explore like this before but it was well worth the 3 hour drive. Thanks for looking.

IMG_3520.jpeg

JakeV50

"The Pump People"
Regular User
Been thinking about this place recently, good to see the majority of the vehicles are still there as I heard a few got moved a while back.

JaffaTB

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is on my list for this summer holidays, good to see it again and you got some great pics :thumb

Hayleyrud

28DL Member
28DL Member
Went here today but could not find the way to the air field, still had a good day out, will try again next week at least we eliminated some routes, the place is huge! Cool photos we'll done

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Went here today but could not find the way to the air field, still had a good day out, will try again next week at least we eliminated some routes, the place is huge! Cool photos we'll done
Thanks. It’s a bit of a trek for sure!

WillEm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The helicopter is a Russian made Hind, the 'dummy' tank is a ZSU-23-4 an Russian anti-aircraft system.

Spent quite a bit of time flying in the airspace around there. Some 'interesting' EW kit is used there.

Last edited:

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The helicopter is a Russian made Hind, the 'dummy' tank is a ZSU-23-4 an Russian anti-aircraft system.

Spent quite a it of time flying in the airspace around there. Some 'interesting' EW kit is used there.
Nice bit of info that. Sounds like you’ve had some interesting views

jamonkey1982

28DL Member
28DL Member

Spent quite a bit of time flying in the airspace around there. Some 'interesting' EW kit is used there.
Hi ya, does the near perfect square cut into the woodland at 55.069 -2.529 mean anything from an aviation / navigation point of view or is it just a weird coincidence

WillEm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi ya, does the near perfect square cut into the woodland at 55.069 -2.529 mean anything from an aviation / navigation point of view or is it just a weird coincidence
Can sometimes be part of a ecology study, cut a block and see how it grow back. On some training sreas there are 'holes' cut into wood blocks to allow confined area training.

Who has read this thread (Total: 183) View details